Thursday, March 15, 2007

American Idol Commentary - Measuring Up to Our Expectations

First off, I apologize for not getting a blog entry up for last night's show. I was working on my recap for Reality Shack this morning, and my iBook decided to stop cooperating. It went to sleep and wouldn't wake up. I couldn't get anything reset on it, so had to take it into the Apple store to be looked at. Something had happened to my power settings, but now it's fixed, and I'm back.

We seemed to be continuing our theme from the semi-finals, of the strong getting stronger, and the weak getting weaker. I don't know what was happening with those in the middle, as they all seemed to think they could take classics and remake them into something better.

Lakisha Jones. Forget what Randy and Simon said. This is still a two-horse race. Yeah, Jordin is great, but she is no Lakisha or Melinda. You and Melinda have something so incredibly unique, that it won't be topped. What you have going on over Melinda for me is the way you emote. It's always very important to me, and when I see you perform, I can feel everything you're putting out there. And on top of it all? You are cool as a cucumber. You can walk out on the big stage, thousands cheering for you, and it's like you've been doing it all your life. In one word, you are amazing.

Melinda Doolittle. I've been saying since the beginning I wanted to change your name to DoaLot. At the risk of sounding like Paula here, I am so appreciative of you taking us along with you on this journey. You are truly a joy to watch. And to see that emotion overcome you at the end of you performance, I could see everything you'd been through. You've been stuck in the back, secretly wishing for your own chance to shine. And you seem so honestly grateful for everything you're getting. When you were overcome, I knew that this was the one moment you'd been waiting for your whole life.

Chris Sligh. I love Chris Sligh. But, two things you needs to know. Your glasses are now a part of who we expect to see. You've had great success as that guy, and that's who you should show up as each week. We like him. Also, while it was impressive you could take a song and rearrange it like that, that's not what we want. It's a classic for a reason, and you just can't redo it. You can put your own voice and spin on it without rearranging the melody. Think back to the Hollywood rounds when you, Blake, Rudy, and "the other guy," did your own thing with How Deep Is Your Love. It was awesome, because you did it with what you had, instead of changing the melody.

Jordin Sparks. You still make me smile just looking at you. You also still show that youth so much in you, that I want to take and mother you. You picked a great song choice that showed your sweetness, youth, and voice. That was perfect. While there were a few pitchy moments for me, you did everything you possibly could with it. I think what will possibly bring you down a bit, looking ahead, are the older songs. The songs you have to emote in, as you're too young to understand some of it. It affected Paris Bennett as well, but somehow Diana DeGarmo made it through all that. It's just something to be careful of. Don't pick songs that you aren't sure what they mean, as that will come out in your performance.

Phil Stacy. I'm not quite sure how you landed in the bottom three, as I think this was your best performance to date. It was certainly better than last week's, and you made me understand how you got in the top 12 over Sundance Head. And that sign in the audience, supposedly from your baby? Adorable. In fact, it was so adorable, it may have won you a few votes, as it's something that sticks on people's minds after the show.

Gina Glocksen. Well, I liked it better than the judges did. I do think I know what they're getting at, though. You have a thin line to straddle. You need to do the more rocker like songs, but yet on something like that, you can't do the screaming rocker thing. You have to keep in mind it was originally sung by Diana Ross, so we're used to hearing that type of voice attached to it. I think because you're different, you'll last awhile.

Stephanie Edwards. You have a beautiful voice, but you don't show the same control with it as Lakisha and Melinda. They seem to have it down to a science, as far as when to speed up, slow down, add power, pull back on it, etc. Because of that, you need to avoid putting yourself in position to be compared to her. I know you did a more disco-ish song, but I still found myself comparing. And the judges were right. You can't leave out an important part of the song when you're arranging. It's great you wanted to show us your voice in the other parts, but we were missing the part of the song we really like.

Blake Lewis. See the comments to Chris Sligh above. Well, all except the part about the glasses. I found myself waiting for your beat boxing. Not because you have to do it every song, as you don't. Your very first song as final 24 you didn't do it, and that was fine by us. We didn't miss it. But this time we did, because the performance was lacking some type of pizzazz. There isn't a whole lot you can do to improve on a classic. Had you just come out and sung it with your own flavor, instead of rearranging it, it would have been much better.

Haley Scarnato. It's funny to me that you feel this was your worst performance ever, as I saw it as one of your better ones. You didn't have as much pitchiness in there. Sure, you had a little, but not nearly like the other times. And you were also very breathy in the beginning, like you were in fear of going off pitch. Then, you messed up the words. You need to find a hook to who you are as a performer. You won't win with the female power vocals, as that's already a category that's locked up by two others. You won't win with the young and sweet category, as Jordin has that locked up. Find that unique hook.

Chris Richardson. I don't get it. I know you're a cute guy and all. But I don't get the performances. I just don't. But, I didn't get Corey Clark either. There's something about your voice I don't understand, but I can see your artistry there. And every single one of your intro pieces, I love. I like Chris the guy, and am just not sure about Chris the singer. That said, this song this week seemed uncharacteristically off for you. I think you had some nerves coming through, as your face looked near manic as you jumped on the catwalk. I'm reserving judgement until the nerves are gone next week.

Sanjaya Malakar. First off, I feel for ya. You seem like such an incredibly sweet kid. Honestly. And Diana Ross is right that there's some inner light there with you. You're such a pleasure to look at and observe. When you sung in the auditions, we all said wow. This kid has something. But, we haven't seen that since. I'n not sure whether you've lost confidence or are trying too hard or what, but I don't know if there's a way you can improve at this point. And for the love of God, please tell the hair stylists there to stop. We like the hair the way it was before. That's who you are. You're a 17 year old kid, and should look like one. We didn't like what they tried to do last year with Bucky Covington either.

Brandon Rogers. It's a shame to see you go. Along with Sundance, you were one of our favorites coming into this. Yet, for some reason, you were never able to show us what we were expecting from you. You were right with what you said, though. Making it this far, you know now that it is possible for others to see you as a possible lead singer. Hopefully that confidence will take over, and you'll find something fitting for you as a lead. Good luck.

Miss Ross, you are a legend. It seemed like you genuinely cared about these kids and wanted to help them. I thought that was great. Those are always my favorite mentors on the show. The ones that sincerely want to help, and aren't just pushing a record. In fact, I think you are possibly such a legend, that many people had a hard time coming close to your expertise with the music. Only Lakisha and Melinda, but that's not exactly surprising.

For more on American Idol, see Reality Shack and My HubPage

For more American Idol information, see SirLinksalot: American Idol

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not a 3 person race? Are you deaf? Melinda and Jordin OWNED that show last nigh. No freakin way will Lakisha beat her out. Won't happen.