Tuesday, February 6, 2007

AI Commentary - From Season One to Season Six

I am not in a good mood today. To start off with, we're freezing here in the Midwest. I do not want to hear anything more for quite some time about global warming. With a temperature this morning of -11F, and that's without a windchill, as with the windchill, it's about -35F, I'm thinking it's a load of hooey. The horn on my minivan sounds ill, as it's so cold it can't even get up the muster to call attention to itself.

So I pop onto my blog, thinking I'll listen to some of my music here, but it's just not helping today. I need some new music on here. Well, not necessarily news, but something new to the blog. Because it's just not cuttin' it this morning. And if there's one thing I definitely don't want to hear again for a long, long time is the Super Bowl Shuffle. The hype is done, my team lost, and I'm over it. My beloved Bears looks like they were stuck up here in the cold weather. They got a good start, then died, just like my minivan sounded like it was going to do.

I think I need some American Idol music on here, especially if I'm trying to cheer myself up and life the ol' spirits. And still, after five full seasons, and starting the sixth, nothing says American Idol to me more than the original, Kelly Clarkson. I've liked many of the winners and runners-up to come out of the show, but to me, they just never compare to Kelly. She's the one that got me interested and excited about watching the show.

Missing the auditions of season one, because I thought the show would be not very interesting, I found myself changing my tune once I first heard Kelly sing. I only turned it on towards the end of the Hollywood round because I could not find anything else on that night, and my kids were quite insistent that it would be a good show. It was okay enough to turn it on again the next week, and that's when I heard Kelly sing Natural Woman and got chills. Week after week she was amazing, and when she sang Stuff Like That There, I thought, this girl has something special.

I would really love to see those old performances again, but I don't know if American Idol Rewind is ever going to get there. In 2006, yes, last year, the first season went into syndication, with the promises we would see it all again. But here we are after several months, and all we've seen are the auditions and Hollywood rounds. I want semi-finals and finals! I want to see it all over again. It's syndicated different, it seems, wherever you watch it, as some I know got to watch the first semi-final group this week, but Ii ended up seeing the final thirty to come out of Hollywood ... again.

So far this season I haven't seen anyone that has excited me like that, but that could certainly change once we see them in Hollywood or semi-finals when they really get a chance to shine, more than just a few bars of a song. Watching the trios sing in Hollywood from season one this week, I thought, that two people I'm really interested in seeing in that round are the two backup singers, Melinda and Brandon. Especially with Melinda, it's going to make or break her, to see if she has what it takes to step out in front of two other singers and be the lead, commanding everyone's attention.

We still have some people we haven't seen yet, too. Tuesday night we have auditions in San Antonio, Texas, and then on Wednesday we have "Rest of the Best," whatever that means. I'm assuming it means we get to see some of the people that made it through to Hollywood that we haven't seen yet, because they've been busy showing us the truly outrageous. And I do have to say that was one of the most refreshing things of the season one auditions, the lack of outrageous costumes, acts, and otherwise delusional people. Then again they stretch out the auditions so far now that four weeks of just good, really good, and no so good really wouldn't be as exciting as four weeks of outrageousness.

I'm ready for both of them to pick it up now. I'm ready for season six to get to Hollywood, so we can explore the talent of the people that made it through, and I'm exciting for season one to get to the finals, so I can remember all over again why I became a fan of the show in the first place. I'm also ready for some warmer weather, but it doesn't look like we'll get getting it any time soon.

For more on American Idol, see Reality Shack

For more American Idol information, see SirLinksalot: American Idol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might have enjoyed your blog but I couldn't get past the first, inane and irresponsible paragraph, Laura. Maybe you could've couched it as a joke?
But no, you fed into the absurd and frightening habit too many ignorant people have, of treating global climate change lightly or sticking their heads in the sand about it.

Sorry, but the cuteness of your verbal banter is not so important that it excuses encouraging the public to laugh at the very real, dire threats posed by global warming.

After your opening remarks, nothing else you said really mattered. Mr. Imhofe and the rapturist right-wingers will probably love your blog.

Holly

LauraBelle said...

I'm sorry, Holly, that you could not appreciate the dry humor provided, yet, am I glad that you responded. I always say when I'm writing that my goal is to make the readers feel, think, and maybe even laugh a little. You definitely weren't laughing, but you were definitely feeling and thinking, and I very much appreciate that.